Glen Innes COVID-19: Lockdown after confirmed case active in community

More regional NSW towns head back to lockdown

A number of regional NSW towns will return to lockdown from 6pm Friday.

Stay-at-home orders are back for the Hilltops Local Government Area, the Murrumbidgee Local Health District confirmed, while in the state's northern tablelands, Glen Innes suffered the same fate.

The seven-day lockdown was announced early Friday afternoon.

It comes after the local government regions of Albury and Lismore suffered the same fate earlier this week.

The Glen Innes COVID-19 case is thought to have been infectious in the community for up to three days.

Contact tracing has been completed into the movements of the person who first tested positive on Wednesday night, and three contact venues have been listed.


The exposure sites are all from Tuesday and are: Kent Engineering and Mechanical from 9am to 9.10am; National Australia Bank from 10.25am to 10.35am; and Pathology New England from 9.45am to 10.15am.

Around 15 casual contacts have been identified by NSW Health. They are all being tested and are in isolation.

Meanwhile in the Hilltop area, residents in the towns of Young, Harden and Boorowa and surrounding villages must stay at home unless it is for an essential reason.

This includes includes shopping for food, medical care, getting vaccinated, compassionate needs, exercise and work or tertiary education if you can't work or study at home.

Adam Marshall said he had been advised by both the health minister and the NSW chief health officer of the lockdown.

Adam Marshall said he had been advised by both the health minister and the NSW chief health officer of the lockdown.

In a social media post on Friday, Northern Tablelands MP Adam Marshall said Health Minister Brad Hazzard and the NSW chief health officer Dr Kerry Chant advised him of the decision.

"I realise this was not the news many of you were wanting to hear, especially small business owners, and I fully appreciate the stress and strain this will place on you," Mr Marshall said.

"However, in response to the COVID case and the fact that the individual had been active in the community while infectious, the NSW Chief Health Officer convened an independent panel of medical experts to review all the information relevant to the case in Glen Innes."

"That panel determined and strongly recommended that a 7-day lockdown be imposed to protect the community and safeguard against further spread of COVID in Glen Innes, especially given the COVID-positive individual was active in the local community (and outside the community) for three days while infectious."

This story More regional NSW towns head back to lockdown first appeared on Glen Innes Examiner.