Primary students from across the district came together at Boughton Oval to compete for the annual Heferen Shield on Friday, August 2.
The best students from the Moree District Primary School Sports Association (PSSA) competed in a range of athletic events throughout the day, including sprints and long distance races, long jump, high jump, discus and shot put for a chance to advance through to regionals in Tamworth in September.
This was also the first year the 1500m track event was added, which created a lot of excitement among the long distance runners.
There was some some fantastic competition on show, with St Philomena's School taking out the overall shield for the highest points scored, while North Star Public School won the Small School Shield.
St Philomena's had three age champions on the day as well as two runners up, while Moree Public School had one age champion on top of three runners up, with the other age champion on the day coming from St Joseph's Mungindi.
North Star had two runners up while Moree Christian Community School and Boomi Public School each added one.
There were also four records broken on the day, across both track and field events.
Moree Public School student Mana Noble broke the 11 years discus record while younger brother Chaz broke the junior record.
Both records had not been broken since 2001 and 2006, respectively.
St Philomena's School's Zara Cogan and Olivia Turner broke the senior girls 800m and 11 years girls 800m records, respectively.
All students who placed in their events move on now to compete at the Regional Carnival in Tamworth on September 13 as part of the Moree Zone team.
Here are all the individual champions and runners up on the day:
- Junior Boys Runner Up - Jonah James (Moree Public School)
- Junior Boys Champion - Chaz Noble (Moree Public School)
- Junior Girls Runner Up - Emere Lazarus (North Star)
- Junior Girls Champion - Alex Reardon (St Philomena's School)
- 11 years Boys Runner Up - Mana Noble (Moree Public School)
- 11 years Boys Champion - Jack Gobbert (St Philomena's School)
- 11 years Girls Runner Up - Cedar Mitchell (Moree Christian Community School)
- 11 years Girls Champion - Olivia Turner (St Philomena's School)
- Senior Boys Runner Up - Darcy Brazel (Moree Public School)
- Senior Boys Champion - Tommy Tootell (St Joseph's School Mungindi)
- Senior Girls Runner Up - Maddison Marchant (Boomi Public School)
- Senior Girls Champion - Zara Cogan (St Philomena's School)