Moree to bat against Narrabri in round two of Connolly Cup

REP CRICKET: Moree representative side will face Narrabri in Narrabri in the second round of the Connolly Cup this Sunday, November 11. Photo: Deb Holland
REP CRICKET: Moree representative side will face Narrabri in Narrabri in the second round of the Connolly Cup this Sunday, November 11. Photo: Deb Holland

Moree are set to face Narrabri this Sunday in their second match of the 2018/19 Connolly Cup, following a disappointing start to the campaign against Tamworth Blue two weeks ago.

The Tamworth side proved too good for their Moree hosts and finished on 8-278 off 50 overs.

In reply, Moree were dismissed for 171 in the 38th over.

READ MORE:

Missing two of their best players due to suspension, Moree and District Cricket Association president Glen Holland isn’t confident of Moree’s chances against Narrabri this Sunday, November 11.

“The side is very young, very inexperienced,” he said.

“We’ll be missing two of our best players, so the younger players will need to step up.”

Moree will be looking for a win this weekend to remain in with a chance at this year’s Cup.

Meanwhile, Moree and District Cricket Association’s 40-over competition is in full swing, with round four to be played this Saturday.

Unfortunately the first round of competition, on October 13, was washed out.

There are again four teams in this year’s competition – the Moree Milk Stallions, Vic Vikings, Moree Golf Club and Boomerangs.

Last year’s winners, the Stallions are once again dominating the competition, going undefeated so far.

Holland said the new turf wicket at Ron Harborne Oval has made a significant difference to the quality of play since it was installed last year.

“The turf wicket is immaculate,” he said.

“Hats off to curator Beau McMahon for the job he’s doing over there.

“The more we play on it, the better our players will be, same as junior cricket.”

Holland is however frustrated by the water run-off that is occurring on the field every time it rains, preventing play.

“The only issue is there are no gutters on the amenities, so every time it rains, water washes straight onto the field,” he said.

“Everything is also built up higher than the wicket, so it all drains down onto it.

“We’ve contacted council about the issue, but I’ve been very disappointed in the lack of work being done, in the timeframe given, to prevent the water run-off.

“I’m hoping to get some form of response shortly.”

The 40-over competition will run until December 11, before the popular Twenty 20 competition gets underway in the new year.

The club is currently taking nominations for the T20. Nominations can be submitted via http://mycricket.cricket.com.au or by contacting Glen Holland on 0447 410 361.