Annually, Moree Plains Shire Council has seen in the New Year with a blaze of fireworks on Ron Harborne Oval, but each year, spectator numbers have declined; whereas the crowds at last year’s inaugural Christmas at Twilight event exceeded 3,000.
Council’s Director of Planning and Community Development Angus Witherby said that during budget deliberations only one display of fireworks was funded for the 2017 festive period and it was decided that it would make more sense to host the fireworks at the carols evening, when more people were present.
“As a result of council’s budget decisions for 2017, there was only enough money to fund one display and we get the ‘best bang for our buck’ at the Christmas at Twilight event on December 13,” Mr Witherby said.
“We appreciate many people will be disappointed with this decision, but we trust this announcement gives people time to organise other ways of celebrating the New Year’s Eve.”
The Ron Harborne Christmas at Twilight event will be held on Wednesday, December 13 from 5pm with Bubble Soccer, photo booth, rides, recreational activities, food and beverage stalls, with the open-air carols concert starting at 7.30pm, followed by the fireworks.