A packed gallery is expected to attend this afternoon’s ordinary council meeting as Moree Plains Shire councillors debate whether to trial a cashless welfare card in Moree.
Councillor John Tramby last week submitted a notice of motion to council to consider requesting Federal Member for Parkes Mark Coulton to nominate Moree Plains Shire Council as a trial site for the introduction of the controversial cashless welfare card.
A cashless welfare card is like a normal bank card, except it cannot be used to buy alcohol or gambling products, or to withdraw cash.
If Moree were to successfully be granted a two year trial, residents receiving Centrelink payments would have 80 per cent of their payment deposited directly into a Cashless Debit Card, while the remaining 20 per cent will be paid into the person’s regular account.
According to the Department of Social Services, the Cashless Debit Card has been designed to help disadvantaged communities decrease the level of consumption of drugs, alcohol and gambling which impacts on the health and wellbeing of communities, families and children.
The debate is expected to get heated as Moree councillors vote on the notice of motion at the council meeting which begins at 4pm on Thursday, September 14.