Poor diet, illicit drug use, extreme hot weather and a lack of adequate training have been raised at an inquest into the death of a central coast teenager who died after installing insulation as part of a federal government program.
Marcus Wilson, 19, died at Nepean Hospital on November 21, 2009, from hyperthermia after installing roof insulation in temperatures in excess of 40 degrees at St Clair, in Sydney's west, the previous day.
Mr Wilson was the third person to die while working on the much-maligned $2.8 billion Home Insulation Program.
Today, the Coroner's Court at Glebe heard Mr Wilson had at some point completed an insulation training course but had never worked as an installer before he agreed to fill in for his best mate, Calum McLean, who was ill.
Mr McLean worked as a contractor for Pride Building and offered to pay Mr Wilson half the $200 daily rate.
Deputy State Coroner, Hugh Dillon, was told Mr Wilson lived on a diet of fast food and used cannabis and ecstasy recreationally.
In his backpack, police found a bottle of muscle-enhancing supplements and an empty bottle labelled anabolic steroids, which are popular among gym users.
Toxicology tests did not find evidence of any illegal drugs in Mr Wilson's system, but steroids were not tested for.
On the day he collapsed from heat stroke, Mr Wilson worked on two houses with another contractor, Collin Cini.
Mr Cini said Pride Building had not given him any information or instruction about working in extreme temperatures or conducting risk assessments during the few weeks he had worked for the company.
Mr Cini said the attitude of Ryan Glover, the head of Pride, was "get the job done or you don't have a job".
He admitted Mr Glover was not told Mr Wilson was filling in for his friend.
As he and Mr Wilson finished the St Clair job about 1.30pm, Mr Cini said he noticed the teenager was red faced, sweating, irritable and mumbling to himself. He assumed Mr Wilson was "slacking off" when he did not clean up when asked to, rather than suffering from heat stroke.
Minutes later, Mr Wilson ran on to a busy road before collapsing. He was placed in an induced coma and died the next day.
Mr Cini apologised to Mr Wilson's sister Jessica "for the role that I played", but he said he had a mortgage and felt he was "placed in a situation where if I didn't do the work we'd all be out of a job".
Pride Building has gone out of business.
Mr Glover will give evidence tomorrow.